What's Keyword Difficulty score?
Rank Tracker's Keyword Difficulty shows you exactly how hard it's going to be to rank in top 10
results for any given keyword in Google or any localized versions of your target search engine.
The algorithm behind the Keyword Difficulty value is dead simple. Basically, Rank Tracker analyzes top 10
ranking pages for a certain keyword according to a wealth of important SEO metrics like.
Sites linking to a domain
After analyzing the above-listed parameters, the tool will come up with the overall Keyword
Difficulty score for a keyword of your choice as well as show you how hard it is to
outrank each individual competitor in the top 10 for this very keyword.
How exactly Keyword Difficulty can help you
- Save time, money, and effort by picking the keywords that will quickly bring you more
earnings at a lower cost.
- Use the Keyword Difficulty metric in combination with search volume, KEI, and other SEO
indicators for calculating your success chances and winning the best keyword
- Prioritize the right keywords based on how much effort it will take to rank for
- Utilize the Keyword Difficulty score to understand the level of
- Carry out niche research for any keyword in a matter of minutes
Spot the best-performing keywords
By combining the Keyword Difficulty with Search Volume metrics, you can find keywords that have the highest
chances of bringing you tons of organic traffic and don't require much effort to rank for. And of course,
Rank Tracker is a perfect tool for finding such keyword gems.
- Open your project and move to Rank Tracking under
the Target Keywords module.
- Right-click the header of any column and add the
Google Keyword Difficulty and # of Searches columns to
- Update the columns by clicking on and have a look at the stats.
As a matter of fact, keywords with the Keyword Difficulty score below 60 are the hardest to find
but the easiest to rank for. When accompanied by a considerable and steady number of searches, they become
perfect keywords to optimize your pages for. You may also have a look at KEI, visibility, and CPC parameters
for a deeper analysis.
Use the Keyword Difficulty metric for competition analysis
Keyword SEO Difficulty is the very first parameter to look at when comparing your pages to those of your
best-performing competition. Now Rank Tracker lets you compare your top 10 ranking competitors' pages for
- Open your project and move to Rank Tracking.
- Pick a keyword, switch to the Keyword Difficulty tab in the lower screen, and get SEO difficulty calculated by hitting .
Estimate Keyword Difficulty in bulk
If you`ve just collected a whole bunch of new keywords and want to get accurate Keyword Difficulty values
for all of them at once, there`s good news for you. With Rank Tracker, you can check and compare the
difficulty of as many keywords as you want. This feature is especially useful for those who carry out
keyword research and have to deal with a large amount of data.
- In the Rank Tracking submodule, click on the Update SEO/PPC data button.
- In the Update data for drop-down menu, select All keywords in workspace, check Keyword Difficulty, and hit OK.
Filter keywords by Keyword Difficulty
Being an SEO, the last thing you probably want is to drown in tons of rubbishy keywords that have no chances
to bring you profit and are too hard to rank for. So the only right solution is to filter them out leaving
the ones that have the potential to maximize your SEO results and can be worked on.
- In your workspace, click the funnel icon at the top right corner.
- Click on Add filter and set your preferences like this
Keyword Difficulty > Less than > 60.
- Select all under Show results matching to see only the
results that match your filtering conditions and hit OK.
Schedule Keyword Difficulty checks
With super fast-changing SEO and competition landscapes, Keyword Difficulty is a sort of metric
that needs to be constantly monitored. The good news is, Rank Tracker can get your Keyword
Difficulty calculated (together with a bunch of other SEO stats) completely on autopilot.
- In your project, move to Preferences > Scheduler.
- Click on the Add button, mark Update keyword data, and
- Choose your project, set the time and frequency of
your checks, and name your scheduled task.