Save your backlinks in post-Penguin panic — actionable Anti-Penguin checklist!
With the recent Google Penguin algo update, as well as the giant batch of unnatural link warnings sent out to webmasters, the panic is all around the SEO world.
Surely, you can't sit still, risking your hard-earned Google ranks and traffic. But there's no need for hasty and ill-considered decisions like removing the existing backlinks your've invested so much time and resources into, or starting out with a brand new domain.
There is the alternative way to save your website together with its juicy backlinks, as well as protect yourself from competitors' negative SEO. What you need is reliable SEO software to launch a thought-out anti-Penguin backlink audit!
Backlink Anchor Text — The 3 Types
Penguin does NOT tolerate hundreds of backlinks with anchors exactly matching your target keywords (especially the commercial terms).
Yep, you've been struggling hard to acquire more backlinks with anchors exactly matching your money keywords. Now you need to struggle even harder to have your anchors diversified.
To quickly have a look at your existing backlink anchors, you've got your
SEO PowerSuite at hand. Launch SEO SpyGlass, create a new project for your domain and let the tool collect the data for you, including all of your anchors.
If you find your existing anchors quite uniform, here are the tree types of anchors to focus on when building new links:
- Hybrid branded anchors ("Brand name + keyword variations")
- Universal anchors ("here's the link", "link", etc.)
- Naked URLs ("www.site.com")
Backlink Domain Diversity — The 3 Basic Factors
Getting sitewide backlinks is not so good as it used to be. Be careful now when choosing the backlink domains as well as the place your backlink's going to be placed at. Don't forget about:
- Domain diversity — basically, it's better to have 2 links on 2 different domains, than 4 on 1
- Domain IP diversity — check the IPs of the domains you consider as your backlink partners. If websites are hosted on the same server, it's very likely they'll have the same (or similar) IP address.
- Domain age — an old domain seems to be more credible for search engines, so try to analyze this factor for your current backlinks — if all of your existing links come from newly registered domains — that's an alarming sign.
But how'd you know how diverse your backlink domains currently are? Collecting these data manually will take some SEOs weeks of hard and boring work. With SEO PowerSuite at hand, you can collect the backlink domain-related information in a couple of clicks — all you need is launch your SEO SpyGlass!
Now make sure the new links you build maximally diversify your existing backlink profile.
Other Relevant Backlink Data
All in all, when we speak about links, virtually everything matters. Take your time to analyze:
- The titles and descriptions of backlink pages
- The number of outbound links a backlink page has
- The overall backlink domain popularity (Page Rank, Alexa Rank, etc.)
And again, SEO PowerSuite is your number one tool to get the most comprehensive data for your backlinks. Launch SEO SpyGlass:
All these factor will help you figure out, which of your links may look unnatural and make measured decisions:
- To remove some of the backlinks, if needed
- To diversify some anchor texts (add more branded anchors, or "naked" URLs)
- To diversify some backlink sources
Okay, what else can you do?
Backlinks are the biggest part of the Penguin update, but don't forget some other things that can destroy your website credibility and rankings:
1. Eliminate kyword stuffing and duplicate content issues — use WebSite Auditor to find and fix any problem areas on your site.
- Eliminate keyword stuffing issues: calculate the ideal keyword density — the one used by your currently top-ranking competitors. If that technique lets your competitors rank top, than this is the key to creating what Google sees as relevant and non-spammy content!
- Eliminate duplicate content: make sure all of your pages have unique titles and meta descriptions, and use robots.txt file to hide from Google's eyes any types of duplicate pages.
2. Keep track of how your and your competitors' rankings change — you can use your Rank Tracker from SEO PowerSuite.
- Keep the closest eye on your rankings to instantly react on any changes in your positions.
- Monitor your competitors rankings ups and downs to learn by their mistakes whenever you see their rankings drop.
Ok, now how about a detailed "SEO after Penguin" checklist to help you make your websites eligible to all Google criteria? If you follow these simple tips, your site will be only gaining rankings in post-Penguin Google.
"SEO after Penguin" checklist
- Start with analyzing how your website's doing now — analyze your traffic and ranking stats.
Tools to use: Rank Tracker and Google Analytics
Eliminate on-page issues:
- Create unique titles and descriptions
- Take care of keyword density on your landing pages (do not stuff content with keywords — they are to be used naturally in the context of your topic)
- Fix broken links and server errors
- Reevaluate internal links (the anchors of your internal links shouldn't be stuffed with keywords)
- Optimize the size of the landing pages — if your pages take too long to download, users are likely to return quickly to the search results page — not a good sign for Google
Tools to use: WebSite Auditor, Google Webmaster Tools, Webpagetest.org
Improve your backlink profile:
- If you have an SEO doing a job for you, request a report on backlinks and used resources
- Run a backlinks check with the SEO SpyGlass tool
- Modify links from your own sites, e.g. blogs, updating the anchor texts
- Try to eliminate backlinks from the pages with poor linking neighborhood
- Create a diverse backlinks profile — get backlinks from various sources — blogs, press releases, forums, Q&A sites, video platforms (YouTube, Vimeo), podcast websites, social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
Tools to use: SEO SpyGlass
Protect your website following these proven instructions and advance your optimization processes with SEO PowerSuite tools: