Keyword Gap research method lets you run a side-by-side comparison of up to 5 domains, to explore the differences and similarities between their keyword profiles and yours:
- Identify the gaps in your competitors' strategies
- Discover the keywords unique to your domain or to any of your competitors
- Detect the keywords all competitors rank for but you
- Investigate keyword overlaps between competitors
- Run the research across organic results, narrow it down to a specific SERP Feature or analyze the paid Ads.
To start researching, switch to the Keyword Research module to unfold the list of available methods, and turn to Keyword Gap section.
1. Enter the competitors' websites you'd like to research
Your main project domain will be automatically used as Target domain, but you can type in any other domain manually. In the fields below, type in your competitors' domains (you can add up to 5 fields if necessary, or remove any specified competitor).
2. Choose the intersection mode
You can choose which keywords to harvest based on the way they intersect for the compared domains:
- Your keywords: only your site
- Common keywords: your site and any competitor
- Common keywords: your site and all competitors
- Competitor keywords: any competitor but not your site
- Competitor keywords: all competitors but not your site
- All keywords
You can switch between the modes later and run the search anew, to revise each group of the keywords matching the condition.
3. Adjust targeting settings
Choose your target region (the list of local Google versions is the same as for the Ranking Keywords method), and device (desktop or mobile).
4. Filter the results by type and rank
Choose the type of results you'd like to be included in the analysis:
- organic results (all results except for Ads, and non-ranked SERP features like Knowledge Panel / People Also Ask / Shopping)
- any certain SERP feature alone
- paid Ads, both top or bottom
Adjust the range of results you wish to analyze: from top 10 to top 100.
5. Configure advanced settings
Unfolding Advanced Settings, you can enter negative keywords you don't like to be included, or set the program to automatically exclude the keywords already present in your project as Target Keywords.
6. Run the search
Hit the Search button, and the program will take a few moments to collect the ranking keywords for each of the domains in the chosen search engine, gather the efficiency metrics for them, and sort the results based on the conditions you've set up.
Once done, you will see all the found keywords in the table, along with their SEO/PPC stats in the corresponding columns.
Each domain's column will show the site's rank for the keyword, but you can additionally look into the full list of ranking URLs in the SERPs in the context menu appearing on-hover.
You can re-run the search changing the target settings, intersection mode or results type, add or remove the domains from comparison on-the-go.
7. Manage results
Once you narrowed the list down to the keywords you are interested in, you can move them to Target Keywords module: hover over any to move it individually, or select the keywords in bulk > right-click on selection > Move Selected Keyword(s) to Rank Tracking.
You can also sort the data in the workspace by adding custom filters, adjust the list of visible columns, and quickly export the data into CSV.
After you save and close the project, all the keywords left in the Keyword Gap workspace will be automatically moved to Keyword Sandbox, allowing you to run a brand new search next time.